Dinu Lipatti

Dinu Lipatti (March 19, 1917, Bucharest – December 2, 1950, Geneva) was a Romanian classical pianist and composer whose career was tragically cut short by his death from Hodgkin’s disease at age 33. Despite his short career and a relatively small recorded legacy, Lipatti is considered one of the finest pianists of the 20th century.

Lipatti gave his final recital, which was recorded, on 16 September 1950 in Besançon. Despite severe illness, he gave unmatched performances of Bach’s B flat major Partita, Mozart’s A minor Sonata, Schubert’s G flat major and E flat major Impromptus, and thirteen of Chopin’s 14 Waltzes. He excluded No. 2, which he was too exhausted to play; he offered instead Myra Hess’s transcription of Bach’s Jesu, Joy of Man’s Desiring. As his wife Madeleine recalled, this was the only way Lipatti could bear to take his leave of the world, since, “For him a concert was a pledge of his love to Music.”

Choral “Jesus bleibet meine Freude” from Cantata “Herz und Mund und Tat und Leben”, BWV 147 (arr. Hess) recorded in Geneva, 1950,
Siciliana from Sonata No. 2 for Flute and Harpsichord, BWV 1031 (arr. Kempff) recorded in Geneva, 1950.

VOLAR

SCMP STYLE AWARDS
Feb 26, 2008

The winners in the nightlife and entertainment category, club owners Benedict Ku, Jaime Ku, Ina Yip and Ray Ng, based their unique brand on non-commercial music. Their club Volar brought European electro-rock to clubbers in the city.

Benedict Ku said: “I don’t think it’s a risk. We thought that we needed to bring something different to Hong Kong – give people excitement to come out.”

Mr Ng added: “It was more like setting a trend.”

Mr Ku, 34, and Mr Ng, 37, said they started going to clubs in their teens and still loved clubbing and chilling out with friends. Mr Ng said that when he was still working as a lawyer, he could not afford the time to party, which caused him much distress. “Now I just spend four days [clubbing]. I used to go out six days [a week],” Mr Ng said.

Both agreed that Hong Kong was the perfect place for nightlife because it was easy to hop between different clubs and bump into a variety of people on the same night.

Ministry of Sound sues Singapore licensee

MoS Int’l takes suit against S’pore licensee to High Court
By Chua Hian Hou

A LONDON-BASED nightlife company is taking its lawsuit against the firm running the Ministry of Sound (MoS) club in the Republic to Singapore’s High Court.

Ministry of Sound International earlier filed a suit against the Singapore licensee in the British courts, but it seems it has now moved this legal action over to the courts in the Republic.

The MoS outlet at Clarke Quay, which opened in 2005, is run by LB Investments, a subsidiary of listed Singapore firm LifeBrandz.

LifeBrandz told the Singapore Exchange last Friday that Ministry of Sound International has served a writ of summons on LB Investments.

It said the writ ‘alleges breaches of certain terms and conditions of a licence agreement pertaining to the ‘Ministry of Sound’ brand’.

LifeBrandz said it would ‘vigorously defend’ the ‘unmeritorious’ allegations.

The same announcement also said that Ministry of Sound International had ‘discontinued’ its ‘entire claim’ against LB Investments. These claims had been originally filed with the High Court of England and Wales in mid-November.

The lawsuit earlier filed in Britain alleged that LB Investments had violated its licensing guidelines. The alleged violations included not playing the right type of music, not maintaining a stable website and not using the right staff uniforms.

Ministry of Sound International was reportedly suing LB Investments for damages and to force it to stick to its licensing guidelines.

A LifeBrandz spokesman could not be reached for comment yesterday.

LifeBrandz shares closed unchanged at 5.5 cents yesterday.

Care taken to maintain order at ZoukOut party

Care taken to maintain order at ZoukOut party
ST 27 Dec

IN RESPONSE to Mr Kwok Chee Chiu’s letter, ‘Stop diseases, ban parties like ZoukOut’ (ST, Dec 14).

From the nature of the letter, I assume Mr Kwok did not attend ZoukOut and the opinion may be based on The New Paper post-coverage and the translated version carried in the Chinese dailies. This is unfortunate as it was only The New Paper that took this angle out of more than 150 local and foreign publications that attended and covered the event.

This highlights the fact that that story was not an accurate overall reflection of the 23,000 attendees over the 12-hour period, and the pictures featured were of isolated incidents of consenting adults who may have been behaving more intimately than some would consider appropriate but, by no means, against the law. The article may have provoked strong emotions but we assure everyone that Zouk takes safety and managing a party within the legal parameters of the Singapore judicial system very seriously.

Although we respect Mr. Kwok’s point of view, we believe such a call for action, if implemented, would not benefit Singapore’s nightlife industry, tourism (more than 9,000 international guests attended), world democratic standing or economy. ZoukOut has become a national event over the last seven years and a fixture on the international dance and music calendar, considered by many to be one of the best in the world in terms of management, production and entertainment. As responsible organisers, our pre-emptive measures to maintain law and order and abide by licensing conditions included hiring more than 150 security personnel, plus another 40 uniformed police. In addition, ZoukOut is one of the few major events in Singapore where attendees must present photo ID stating they are above 18.

To call for a ban of events like ZoukOut, that promote tolerance, uniting people from all walks of life, regardless of nationality, as the solution to stopping the spread of diseases is in our view misguided and not the most productive way to address the issue. Echoing Forum respondent Dr Wong Jock Onn on Dec 18, it is through better education that people have a greater awareness of how sexually transmitted diseases are spread and ultimately make the right choices.

It was heartening to see all three respondents (Andre Oei, Owen Yeo and Anna Wong) in the ST YouthInk section on Dec 24, all under the age of 21, making concise, analytical and educated statements on whether such events should be banned. They leave us with confidence that the youth of Singapore are more knowledgable, responsible and informed than some may think.

Tracy Phillips
Marketing Manager
Zouk Management